www.medstead.org


Medstead Historical Timeline

B.C.

1000 - 500

Tumuli/Burial Mounds

500 - 300 

Ring Fort built near present Convent of St. Lucy

A.D.

330

Roman coin depicting Constantine the Great lost close to what is now Paice Lane (found at 'Larchwood' in 1943)

650 

Mint Mere (Minthammas) marks Minchins Copse on north east boundary of the parish

701 

Medstead was part of the manor of Alresford  belonging to the Bishopric of Winchester

1086 

Chapel recorded at Maedstede

Circa 1160

Church built on current site, the arches of  which are included in the current building,  possibly along with parts of  a pre conquest building on the site.

1225 

First known rector of Alresford (including Medstede) - Godfrey de Tostes

1250 

Daniel de Hattyngele, Hugo de Solrigge & Stephen de Solrigge recorded in the parish

1250/60 

A grant of land at Shutmedestede (South  Medstead) mentioned as is Daniel Hattingely

1290

First known mention of a Budd - Israel Budd  (of Hattingly)

1325 

Andrew de Medestede is Sherrif of Surrey

1327 

5 people in Medestede liable for tax including Hugano de Solregge & Willo de Hatyngelegh

1523 

Muster roll called showed 24 men including 3 Wakes & 5 Buds. 30 people were liable for tax.

1530 

Manor of Medstead bought by Sir Richard Lyster

1548 

Only 8 people liable for tax

1556 

Minchins Copse still appearing as on NE  boundary of parish. 
3 Budds & 2 Wakes listed as living in the parish.
About this time road names started to appear e.g. Grene Lane, Heth Green Lane, Hatyngely Lane.

1561 

One Robert Wacke (Wake) died worth 12

1565 

"Kings Road" from Alresford to London via Odiham went via Hattingele, past the Tithe Barn, Medestede Church then down Trinity Hill to Bentworth.

1613

Joane Budd died worth 35.0s.4d

1640

Rector of St. Andrews, Dr. Peter Heylin, a royalist, deposed by Oliver Cromwell

1661

Dr. Peter Heylin reinstated by Charles II

1664 

16 people liable for tax

1673 

Hearth Tax Assessment found 30 dwelling houses and 20 cottages.
(Hearth Tax was 2/- per hearth for houses, zero for cottages)

1758

James Budd murdered by his lunatic grandmother.

1776 

2257 Arable & pasture acres. Charles Hobbs farmed 446 acres. William Budd of Tenantry, William Budd of Soldridge  and Richard Wake were among 22 other farmers.

1800 

Land enclosed. Common Land (229 acres) included The Green (12.147 acres), Heath Green (.945 acres), The Knapps (1.604 acres)

1811

Census shows population of 350 (46 dwellings,  58 families - 55 agricultural, 3 trade).

circa 1826

Village cricket team captained by a Wake

1838

Probably first liquor sold at what is now the  Castle of Comfort

1841

Population now 480 in 99 dwellings

1845

Eight biggest farms totalled 2,200 acres,  among the owners were George Wake, John Wake, Henry Budd and William Budd. At this time there were 2 routes to Alton; 1 via Hussell Lane  & Beech, the other via the old Royal Road through Chawton Wood.

1847

Rector conveyed a piece of land near the church for a school for children of workers and poor.

1850

Parish of Medstead separated from Alresford -  living transferred to Bishop of Litchfield

1863

First independent rector of Medstead - M.A.  Smelt. Sometime between 1863 and 1867 the then rectory (now Old  Rectory Cottage) sold for 104.

1865

Railway through Medstead opened by London & South Western Railway

1869

Medstead School built next to the Church

1873

Living transferred from Bishop to Lord Chancellor on behalf of the Crown

1874

Mulcock Charity formed for the benefit of the poor

1877

Village Hall (now a private house) built next  to Castle of Comfort.

1882

Heating installed in Church followed by an Organ the next year.

1888

William Hobbs killed by falling into a privy.

1891

First mention of the Castle of Comfort

1893

Vestry requested County Council to take over road from turnpike at Lymington to Medstead Church as it was used as a main road by several districts.

1900

Wield Road is a grass track called Green Lane.

1902

Parish Council draws up byelaws for the  Village Green formerly known as The Down.

1915

Roedowns Road still a grass track

1918

Medstead W.I. formed

1921

Population now 776

1929

Electricity came to Medstead

1932

Population now over 1000

1933

Electric light installed in Church

1945

Churches of Medstead & Wield became a united benefice.

1955

Medstead manor became Convent of St. Lucy

1966

1200 acres owned by 5 farmers. One, Robin  Swan, farmed 325 acres with 3 men. Population now 1200 in 500 dwellings

1971

New Village Hall opened

1973

Alton to Winchester (through Medstead) railway line closed

1985

New Primary School opened

1987

Railway line reopened between Alton & Alresford running steam locomotives

1990

Gas comes to Medstead as does a speed limit

2003

Broadband Internet access comes to Medstead

Original timeline information curtesy of Tony Rogers.

If you have any additional information or requests for information on the village history or families who used to live in the village, see History and/or Contact Us.